|Wheelmen / Angels In The Outfield / August 2011
We Are More Than Just Vintage Base Ball
In the few short years that the Westfield Wheelmen have restarted (originally existed in the 1870s-1890s), we have found
a place in the community with more than just playing the game we love by interpreting America's Pastime in its formative era,
we have become a fabric of the community and are looked upon as a role model and a vehicle for good will...for this we
are most proud.
Here are a few things we have done;
- 2011 - Donated to the Hidden Hills Mystery Ride Scholarship Fund in September.
- 2011 - Played and donated at the Angels in the Outfield Cancer Benefit Event in Kingston New York in August.
- 2011 - In August, played in a Westfield Babe Ruth Fund Raising game to help supprt the Westfield Babe Ruth League.
- 2011 - Played at the Southwick Daze to help local Southwick charities in July.
- 2011 - Sponsored and organized a Vintage Wiffle Ball Tourney at Fenway Westfield as a fund raiser for Redeeming Families.
- 2011 - Participated in Westfield On Weekends Pub Crawl, a community awareness event in May.
- 2011 - Game of the Century Fund Raiser for Westfield Vo-Tech Scholarships in May.
- 2011 - Helped to open the Westfield Little League Season in April.
- 2011 - In March, the Wheelmen were nominated for an American Red Cross Hometown Heroes Award.
- 2011 - Donated and participated in the Penguine Plunge (Gator jumped in the frozen Hampden Ponds) - A Benefit for Amelia
Park's Children Museum.
- 2010 - Played at the Angels In The Outfield Cancer Benefit Event - Kingston, New York.
- 2010 - Assisted in an adoption event of older children for the Massachusetts Department of Children & Families.
- 2010 - Wheelmen Captain & Founder is recognized by the Westfield Historical Commission for preservation efforts.
- 2010 - Played at Southwick Daze Community Event Game & Chili Competition Judge.
- 2010 - Sponsored a hole at the Take a Child to Heart Golf Tournament at Tekoa C.C.. A fund raiser to support foster and
adoptive families in Western Massachusetts.
- 2010 - Played at Springfield's celebration of the heroic stand of their legion team and its players
during a national tournament in 1934 in Gastonia, North Carolina where the team chose not to participate when they were informed
that their black teammate would be barred from playing.
- 2010 - Played at Chicopee's Fest-of-All event.
- 2010 - May & October played a key role for Westfield On Weekends community awareness Pub Crawl event.
- 2010 - Became immortalized by representing Westfield baseball history in the Westfield Atheneaum History Mural.
- 2009 - Helped celebrate Abner Gibbs Elementary School's 95th Birthday.
- 2009 - Hosted The Lumberjack Vintage Base Ball Classic fund raiser benefit for cancer.
- 2009 - Played a key role for Westfield On Weekends Pub Crawl community awareness event.
- 2009 - Played wiffle ball for the benefit of Community Christian School (CCS) in Westfield, MA to honor fallen law enforcement
officers and their families at Fenway Westfield.
- 2009 - Wheelmen captain reads to an elementary school class in the ROAR community reader’s day program.
- 2009 - Played at Southwick Daze Community Event Game.
- 2008 - Presented with a framed "Take Me Out To The Ball Game" commemorative stamp by the Westfield Postmaster.
- 2008 - Hosted a Vintage Base Ball World Series Tournament attracting several thousands of spectators to Westfield.
- 2008 - Hosted a Westfield Little League Skills Competition.
- 2008 - Appeared at Costco with Wally of the Red Sox for the Children's Miracle Network.
- 2007 - Played at Windsor, Connecticut's Fall Festival Event.
- 2007 - Hosted a Vintage Base Ball World Series Tournament attracting several thousands of spectators to Westfield.
- 2007 - Hosted a Westfield Little League Skills Competition.
- 2007 - Played at Meadow Days in Longmeadow Celebration.
- 2006 - Appeared at the Western Hampden Historical Societies' Open House at Westfield's Dewey House.
- 2006 - Played at the Westfield On Weekend's Westfield In Motion Event.
- 2006 - Hosted the city of Westfield's celebration and recognition of Westfield's 19th Century Base Ball Great Adonis
Terry with funding by the Massachusetts Cultural Council.